Personal Insurance

Home & Auto

In today's market, many homeowners are seeking the best price for their insurance. In some cases, the price is all that matters. At Lanmar Risk Advisors, LLC, we take the time to educate our clients on what coverage is best for them. If a client has a high value home with high value belongings, it would be inappropriate for them to seek out the least expensive policy on the market. Some policies on the market only pay for Actual Cash Value (ACV), and there are other polices that pay Replacement Cost. Imagine if you come home from work to find that your home has been destroyed by wind or fire. In your mind, you might think that your insurance company will pay to replace that sofa you purchased for $3,000.00. In fact, your insurance company may value your sofa at $300.00. It is at that moment you realize your mistake when shopping for insurance. At Lanmar Risk Advisors, LLC, we take pride in finding the best coverage for our clients so they are not caught off guard when tragedy strikes.

What is covered by home insurance?

Standard home insurance coverage policies provide the following types of coverage up to the limits outlined in the policies:
  • Dwelling — Pays for damage or destruction to your house and any unattached structures and buildings, such as fences, detached garages, and storage sheds when endorsed properly.
  • Personal Property — Covers the contents of your house, including furniture, clothing and appliances, if they are stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
  • Liability — Protects you against financial loss if you are sued and found legally responsible for someone else's injury or property damage.
  • Medical Payments — Covers medical bills for people hurt on your property. Medical Payments coverage also may pay for some injuries that may happen away from your home.
  • Loss of Use — Pays for additional living expenses if your home is uninhabitable during repairs. Most standard home insurance coverage pays 10 to 20 percent of the amount of your dwelling coverage.

You also can purchase the following optional home insurance coverages:

  • Guaranteed Replacement Cost — Provides the most complete coverage for your home. Your home insurance company requires you to meet specific underwriting rules and conditions to qualify for this coverage. For instance, you may need to increase your home insurance amount on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis to keep up with the inflation rate.
  • Inflation Guard Endorsement — Automatically adjusts your home insurance limits during your policy period so they are at 80 percent or more of your home's replacement cost, which is the amount most home insurance companies require you to have. This coverage is beneficial if your home's replacement cost is increasing with inflation.
  • Scheduled Personal Property Endorsement — Also called a "personal article floater". With this coverage, possessions, including jewelry, furs, stamps, coins, guns, computers, antiques, etc., are covered. Each article is itemized and detailed in the floater, and excluded perils also are outlined. Personal article floaters often do not have deductibles.
  • Increased Limits on Money and Securities — Increases coverage amounts for money, bank notes, securities, deeds and more.
  • Secondary Residence Premises Endorsement — Covers a secondary residence, such as a summer home. Liability insurance for secondary homes is not automatically provided by the home insurance policy you have for your primary or principal residence. It is important to consider this endorsement if you own more than one home.
  • Watercraft Endorsement — Expands personal liability and medical payments coverage for small sailboats and outboard motor boats only.
  • Theft Coverage Protection Endorsement — If items from your motor vehicle, trailer or watercraft are stolen, theft coverage protection broadens coverage without requiring proof of forcible entry.
  • Credit Card Forgery and Depositors Forgery Coverage Endorsement — Coverage applies if your credit cards are lost, stolen or used without permission, or if someone forges a check, draft, promissory note, etc. Certain restrictions apply and are noted in your home insurance policy.

What is not covered by home insurance?

A standard homeowner's policy may not protect you from:

  • Flood, Earthquake, Nuclear Accident and War — To protect against unforeseen and uncontrollable events like these, you can purchase hazard insurance in addition to your home insurance policy.
  • Windstorm Damage — In certain areas (mostly coastal) of some states, standard home insurance coverage does not cover damage caused by windstorms and hail. Check your policy information to see if windstorm damage is covered in your area.
  • Water Backup — Damage by water backup is not included in most policies. This is an important endorsement for sudden dispersal of liquid backups such as septic, etc.
Contact Lanmar Risk Advisors, LLC for a quote and expert advice.
© Lanmar Risk Advisors LLC